Y’all. One of the strangest things has happened since this whole pandemic situation started. I find myself actually wanting to cook! I know! Right? My hubs’ job is on a staggered schedule now, so he’s at home more, and we’re having so much fun coming up with new things to create in the kitchen. And with everything that’s going on, I definitely find myself craving things that can be classified as ‘comfort food’. Don’t you? Today, I’m sharing a delicious recipe that will hit all your happy spots – can you say bacon and noodles? Yum!
The inspiration for this recipe actually came from our favorite cooking personality, Jamie Oliver. I’ve shared before about his cookbook – Five Ingredient Quick & Easy Food. It’s our go-to cookbook, full of easy and delicious recipes that are fun to make and really fun to eat! As a result, I follow him on Instagram, and am always inspired by his informative videos. He recently showed an easy way to make pasta or noodles, and that was my jumping off point for this recipe. Because noodles and bacon are always a good idea, right? (full recipe below)
STEP ONE – THE NOODLES
This is one of those “just eyeball it” recipes. You just take a couple of scoops of flour, (I roughly measured 2 cups) and add water and mix until it becomes a soft, rollable dough. Get your hands in there and knead that dough! Throw some flour on your countertop and roll it out until it’s as thin as you want it. I wanted a thicker noodle, but you could go much thinner if you wanted. Roll it into a rough rectangular shape for rolling and cutting in the next step. I used my grandmother’s old rolling pin…wonder how many pie crusts this thing has rolled out?
Now you just flour the top of your rolled out dough so it won’t stick, then roll up like a jelly roll, and cut into slices the width that you want. Mine were approximately ¼ inch. Approximately! Then just untangle the noodles and they’re ready to cook. Throw them in some boiling salted water for a few minutes, cooking until al dente. Find Jamie’s instructions HERE
STEP TWO – THE BACON AND PEAS!
While the noodles are cooking, saute the bacon over medium to high heat in a large skillet until nice and browned, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. In the same skillet saute the chopped onions until soft, then stir in the peas and minced garlic. Saute the mixture for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and your noodles, and add a little pasta water to get it good and blended together. Finish with a bit more parm and a squirt of lemon juice if you’re feeling fancy.
STEP THREE – ENJOY!
We served the noodles with a crusty baguette and olive oil and a crisp Pinot Grigio. Total comfort food!
Rustic Homemade Noodles with Bacon & Peas
- Large Pot
- Rolling Pin
- Sharp Knife
- 2 cups Flour
- 4-5 slices thick sliced bacon diced
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 10 oz frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- lemon (optional)
- Mix flour and water until it becomes a smooth ball that will be easy to roll.
- Flour your work surface, and roll out dough into a rectangle shape to the thickness you prefer.
- Flour the top of the dough so it won't stick, then roll the dough into a jellyroll, and slice into 1/4" slices.
- Untangle the noodles, unrolling them as you go.
- Drop the noodles into boiling, salted water, and cook until al dente. Drain, and reserve the pasta water.
The Bacon & Peas
- While the noodles are cooking, saute the bacon over medium to high heat in a large skillet until nice and browned, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
- In the same skillet saute the chopped onions until soft, then stir in the peas and minced garlic. Saute the mixture for about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and your noodles, and add a little pasta water to get it good and blended together.
- Finish with a bit more parm and a squeeze of lemon juice if you're feeling fancy!
I’ve shared other comforting recipe ideas here too. You can find them here:
- Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice (My most pinned recipe!)
- Instant Pot Beef Curry
- Instant Pot Coffee Roast Beef
Hope you all enjoyed this easy recipe, and more importantly I’m hoping that you’re all safe and healthy. Take care! And Cheers!