One of the first meals I made in the Instant Pot was Roast Beef. As I’ve become more comfortable with my Instant Pot, I’ve begun experimenting more, and adapting recipes I’ve previously used in my trusty slow cooker. This recipe is an adaptation of a tried and true recipe I’ve followed for years. In fact, I’ve prepared roast beef with coffee for so long, I didn’t actually have a recipe… instead it’s become one of those ‘throw this stuff in and cook it’ recipes. Read on for how I adapted a family favorite for the Instant Pot!
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a small commission when you click the links and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting me and my blog by clicking and shopping!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you might have some questions. There are tons of youtube videos and ideas on Pinterest. I’ve pinned quite a few, and have a Board called Instant Pot Recipes & Ideas. Don’t be overwhelmed by this machine! It’s really quite easy if you just follow the instructions that come with your pot, and try a few simple recipes first. There are several versions of the Instant Pot – mine is a pretty plain six quart model. If I had it to do all over again, I’d get the eight quart, simply for the real estate inside the pot. The joy of the Instant Pot is that you can saute and cook in the same appliance. Can you say easy clean up? Yes ma’am! I recommend you purchase a few extra sealing rings, and the glass lid if you intend to use your Instant Pot as a slow cooker. There are tons of accessories now for the Instant Pot – everything from racks to cake pans to egg holders!
This recipe uses coffee. Why coffee? Coffee is acidic, and does a fabulous job of breaking down and tenderizing the meat. It also adds a deliciously rich flavor to the gravy. Just for giggles, I also added a splash of red wine to the liquid. Because I wanted to open that bottle of merlot to sip while I cooked!
Instant Pot Coffee Roast Beef
- 2.5 lb. Beef Chuck Roast
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup coffee
- splash wine
- 2 cloves garlic mashed
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes
- 1/2 lb. carrots roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium white onion roughly chopped
- 1 pkg. whole button mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsps. Unsalted butter
- Press Saute on your Instant Pot to preheat the pot. While the pot is heating up, pat the roast dry, and rub in the salt and garlic pepper. Once the Instant Pot reads ‘HOT’, swirl the olive oil into the pot, add the roast and saute each side, about 5 minutes. You want the roast to get nice and browned on each side.
- Deglaze the Instant Pot with the beef stock, moving the roast around, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Pour in the coffee and splash of wine. Sprinkle the garlic on top of the roast.
- Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press ‘Pressure Cook’, ‘Manual’, or ‘Meat Stew’ setting, and use the + or – buttons to select 45 minutes of time. Make sure your cooker is set to ‘sealing’ so the pot will come to pressure.
- Pour yourself a glass of merlot while the roast cooks and you prepare to chop the veggies. 🙂 I like to chop my carrots on the diagonal into nice hearty chunks. Have the veggies all chopped and ready to go.
- When time is up, carefully open the lid using the ‘quick pressure release’ method. You can also let the meat hang out a bit and release pressure slowly; the pot will automatically switch to ‘warm’ if you choose to do this. I’ve found that the meat turns out more tender if I let it hang out a few minutes before releasing pressure.
- Working quickly, add all the chopped veggies on top of the roast. Close and lock the lid, press ‘Pressure Cook’, ‘Manual’, or ‘Meat Stew’ setting, and use the + or – buttons to select 10 minutes of time.
- When time is up, use the ‘quick pressure release’ method. Remove the veggies and roast to a serving platter and tent.
- Select ‘saute’ on the Instant Pot, bringing the juices to a boil, add the butter, and another splash of wine if you wish, reducing the liquids a bit. This creates a lovely gravy for your roast.
- Slice and serve the roast with a hearty helping of vegetables and the delicious gravy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, try some of my other Instant Pot recipes:
Thanks for stopping by! Please leave me a comment and let me know if you try this recipe, or if you have any questions! I’d love to hear from you!
9 thoughts on “Instant Pot Beef Roast with Coffee”
I am going to have to try this. Looks super simple and delicious!
I know it sounds odd to throw in the coffee, but I promise, you can’t taste it! It just gives it a richer flavor. Let me know if you try it! ❤️
I use my Instant Pot every week. I have not tried this recipe, but am really excited to! Sounds delicious!
I hope you try it. It’s really delicious!
I had to read ahead to see what the coffee had to do with it! Makes sense. I don’t eat red meat or pork, but my hubby would like this, I like the part where you open the Merlot to sip while cooking:-)
Have a great day!
Thanks! Merlot makes any meal better!
I still don’t have an Instant Pot! Think I need to get one, it’s amazing that this cooks in less than an hour! Sounds like a fantastic recipe! Thank you for sharing!😋
Get one! Travel the learning curve and enjoy the results!
This recipe for a beef roast will make anyone the family chef at every get together. When done, it looks very tender and tasty.