This month’s Stylish Monday features the very versatile, and casually chic kimono. My Stylish Monday sisters and I are excited to share with you the many different ways to style a kimono, and how much fun they are to wear. There are so many different versions of kimonos out there – from floral to animal print to abstract to solid colors – you’re sure to find a style that will work for you. I think you’ll be inspired by the creative ways these girls show off their personal style in their kimonos. Be sure to scroll down to see how I style my kimonos, and for info on linking up with us.
This is not a sponsored post, but does contain affiliate links. Each time one of my stylish readers clicks a link and makes a purchase, I receive a small commission. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you so much for reading and supporting my blog!
Here’s what my stylish friends have to say about their looks:
- Cyndi – on Instagram as @cindyscurry – “I bought this kimono at a boutique in Blue Ridge, Georgia several years ago. I love the soft, feminine colors.”
- Suzanne – Ask Suzanne Bell – “Changing times have inspired me to change up my wardrobe. A switch up to a jacket or cardigan, I find I’m living in kimonos these days. The kimono I’m wearing can be worn multiple ways; tying her in the front as I did here, adds shape. The kimono belt doubles as a head wrap!”
- Nancy – Nancy’s Fashion Style – “In the Netherlands the kimono style isn’t as popular as it is in the US. Therfore I used a wrap dress in a silky fabric as a Kimono. Also the print reminds me a bit of Japanese kimonos!”
- Nina – Sharing a Journey – “”I’m veering off kimonos this week because I styled a kimono three ways last month when we shared florals, I’ll share a special link for that!, And because It’s BLOG-A-VERSARY MONTH at Sharing A Journey! We have give-a-ways of my favorite things, gift cards and you can also grab My Free Picnic Planner with social distancing tips from Erin Bromage”
- Julie – Fashion Trends and Friends – “My kimono is reversible and can be styled so many ways with many different colors! I love the ease of styling a kimono; and they’re flattering on all body types!”
- Emma – Style Splash – “This kimono is actually a beach coverup, but as I’m not going on holiday any time soon, I decided to wear it over a top and trousers instead.”
- Michele – on Instagram as @seechele_styles – “My white kimono is thrifted! I tied the ends for a different way to wear it.”
- And introducing our newest Stylish Monday sister – Ada – Elegance & Mommyhood – “Late Spring is a great season to transfer and transition your kimonos into Summer. And that’s exactly what I did. A Beautiful Japanese-inspired Floral Silk Kimono over a simple White Tank Top. Accessorized with a little soft mustard yellow via my Marc Fisher Espadrille Wedges & Loft Sunglasses.”
Please support my stylish sisters, and click through on their links for more of their fantastic styling tips and tricks!
My Favorite Kimono Styles
I tend to favor wearing my kimonos with graphic tees. Y’all know how much I love me a graphic tee! They’re the perfect lightweight layer that adds a finishing pop of polish to the basic tee and jeans outfit. They’re also a fun way to play with pattern mixing, allowing me to have fun with my clothes! But don’t limit yourself to throwing a kimono on over a graphic tee…as you can see by my Stylish Monday sisters above, they work with tons of stuff in the closet! Here are a few more ideas:
- Throw a kimono on over a simple dress for a bit of drama
- Try a kimono with a more tailored top and ankle pants for work
- Pop a kimono over your swimsuit as a glamorous cover-up
- Style a basic, solid colored kimono with a patterned top
- Utilize the tricks of column dressing by wearing a patterned kimono over a black top and pants, a little black dress, or even a solid colored jumpsuit
Shop Similar Kimonos Here:
My Favorite Leopard Print Kimono
Because leopard IS a neutral y’all! I purchased this beautiful, sheer leopard kimono from my favorite online boutique – Tee for the Soul – last fall, and have worn it several times since. It’s the perfect lightweight accent piece for fall, spring and summer. I just love it! I’ve thrown it over a dress, and styled it with both blouses and graphic tees. Here, I’m styling it with a super cute graphic tee and my favorite Denizen jeans from Target that I’ve shared HERE and HERE, and ALL the time on Instagram! They are literally my all time favorite denim jeans.
Shop similar styles here:
And now it’s your turn to join in the fun! Link up with my Stylish Monday sisters and me and show off YOUR style! Click that little button, and share your social media or blog posts to a worldwide audience. Be sure to click through and visit all of the amazing blogs you’ll see below…I guarantee that you will be as inspired as I always am. And as always, Choose Joy!