Having a pear shaped body definitely comes with a few challenges, but over the years, I’ve learned how to meet those challenges, big hips and all! It’s important, no matter what your shape is, to embrace your curves, and celebrate your shape. When you look better, you feel better, and the best way to do that is learn some tricks to highlight your best features, and to embrace those curves that your mama gave ya! Read on for tips and tricks and a look at the best pant styles for your curvy pear shaped body.
This is not a sponsored post, but does contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission whenever my readers click those links and make a purchase. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for your support!
First – read my previous posts HERE:
A little refresher on what it means to have a pear shaped body:
- Generally speaking – your hips and thighs are wider than your bust
- You usually have a narrow waist in relation to your hips
- You may have narrow shoulders
- Body type is based on your bone structure, not your weight – you can be trim but still be pear shaped!
A Few StyleTricks for the Pear Shaped Body
- Color: Use color and pattern to accent and highlight and draw the eye to your best features, and darker colors, like black, brown and navy on the bottom to neutralize that area.
- Long over Lean: One of my favorite tricks is to add a longer tunic or cardigan over a pair of lean pants. The longer top gliding over your hips and thighs visually subtracts inches! Trust me!
- Accent your waist: Look for higher waistlines, and wider waistbands to make you look taller.
- Balance is key, no matter the style of pant, be sure to balance the look of your outfit so that your torso, waist and hips and thigh area all look in proportion to each other (even if they’re not!)
Pant Styles to Avoid if You’re Pear Shaped
- Cropped pants that hit at the widest part of your calf making your legs appear stumpy and shorter.
- Pants with too much pleating add visual pounds to the area you want to appear slimmer
- “Mom” style jeans that are bulky and shapeless. They’re very trendy now, but will do nothing for a pear shaped figure. Take it from a certain guinea pig that tried them and failed miserably!
My Favorite Pant and Denim Styles for a Pear Shaped Body
Boot Cut Jeans
Bootcut jeans look great with a wedge heel, a high heel, and with booties. Look for a darker wash, and avoid too much whiskering, which can make it appear that your jeans are being stretched too far and fit too tight. I recently found a pair of NYDJ bootcuts and love the look and fit of them, because they’re made for real women with curves! This classic denim style looks great with almost any kind of top you want to style with them, and will be perfectly stylish as we move on into fall.
A trouser style pant works for the same reason the bootcut jean does, because they visually slim the hip and thigh area, while slightly flaring out at the hem, giving you legs for days! They look great with jackets, are very work appropriate, and can also be glitzed up with a cute top and heels for a date night out. Avoid any that are boxy shaped, and aim for that bit of flare at the hemline. Add a dressier heel for extra polish to your work outfit – you don’t want your bottom half to look like a box!
Slim or Straight Ankle Pant
My go to work pants are usually from Chico’s, and I like their “So Slimming” line-up of both ankle and straight pants, because they fit great, smooth out the lumps and bumps and hold everything in place. These pants come in basic styles, and some even have cute button or back slit details. You can style them with any top, or throw on a cardigan or jacket for work and you’re good to go!
Skinny Jeans or Leggings
Yes my pear shaped ladies, you can wear skinny jeans and leggings! It’s all about how you style them. This style looks especially great tucked into a pair of tall boots, or styled with cute booties (they even look great with a casual sneaker). Everyone should own several pairs of tall boots, and should rock a pair the minute the clock strikes Fall! Use the long over lean method by adding a longer kimono or sweater. I’m linking a few boots below. If you follow me on instagram you’ll know that I’m especially fond of the Denizen jeans from Target . The lighter wash on the front of the thighs is a clever way to disguise the wider part of my body. Look for skinnies that have a similar wash. I’ve shared a few below.
Shop Tall Boots Here:
I hope this post has inspired you to stretch out of your comfort zone when it comes to finding pants to fit your figure. One last tip – try on, try on, try on! Don’t give up until you find what fits you best. Look at yourself in the mirror from every angle, take pics and look at your silhouette. Ask yourself if they flatter, if they fit and if they feel good. Don’t settle for almost (which is a great life goal anyway). You deserve the best, and finding that perfect fit will make you feel so much better about yourself!
As always, thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I’d be honored if you’d leave a comment and let me know what you thought of today’s post. Cheers!
16 thoughts on “Best Pants for the Pear Shaped Woman”
Thanks for the great tips.While I don’t think I am pear shape, it is really nice to see how how certain things work on different body shapes. You look lovely in all of these.
Tha is so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed my post. ❤️
Fab read, so much Info! Nice to find you here. Followed on Pinterest too!
Great information and such cute clothes! Nice to meet you and like Gwen, I will follow you on Pinterest too!
Enjoyed reading this, you have some wonderful advice to offer.
Thanks so much. I hope you enjoyed it!
Great information and such a beautiful clothes i like your post thanks for share this post!!
Thanks for your input! So glad you enjoyed it. I think might be time for me to update this post!