Oh it’s that time again! The tree is down. The Christmas decorations and lights are tucked away for the year, though I really miss seeing the pretty lights every evening. I kinda think we should enjoy a little sparkle every night! My grandkids agree.
But, it’s now time for resolutions, and to set goals for healthier living, saving money, and getting organized. In other words, it’s a clean slate, and our chance to start the new year right. I take advantage of my holiday break to get things lined up and organized while I have the opportunity and am off work for the holidays. Here’s a few of my “Get Fresh Quick” Strategies for a Happier New Year.
- Clean out that closet! I like to use my holiday break to clean out and re-organize the closet. My method is to yank everything out I haven’t worn in a year (ouch) throw it on the bed and sort piece by piece into four piles: consign, give to friends, donate, and trash. I take a ruthless approach. And the payoff is empty hangers. I recently discovered the joy of Thred-Up consignment. You can order a “Clean-Out” Bag, fill it up and mail it back to them-postage paid. They will then buy those items from you, giving you credit or payout through PayPal, or you can consign with them. It’s your choice. It’s super easy to use. I just sent off a bag chock full of shoes, bags, jewelry and clothes. I love it!
- Clean out that fridge! I know, I know. This should happen all through the year. But I work y’all. It’s literally the last thing in the world I want to deal with when I get home in the afternoons or on the weekends. I confess there are things in there I totally forgot about. Like the salsa that came with the order of fajitas we ordered back on some random Taco Tuesday back in Octoberish. Or the rock hard cheese in the back of the fridge drawer, where it’s apparently as cold as New Hampshire in January. Or the squeezie baby food stuff that’s been there since 2015. (insert disgusting eye-roll here) Clean it all out. Wipe off the shelves. Start fresh!
- Clean out the home office paper clutter! This is a never ending, overwhelming task in my home, as I’m still dealing with my mom and dad’s paperwork and bills, along with our own paperwork and bills. That’s bad enough. Throw in the never ending supply of junk mail that arrives daily (credit card applications anyone?) and it just piles up.I try to stay on top of it throughout the year, but sometimes it just gets away from me. I schedule a desktop cleanout day and go to town shredding and filing. I start the tax folder for last year, so it’s ready to receive all the tax statements that will be rolling in soon. I just love to organize and clean up the office. It makes me feel so much more in control, and that makes me happy.
- Clean up the diet! I’m a Weight Watcher for life. It’s the only program that works for me. I’ve managed to take off and keep off 50 pounds since 2016 by following the WW program, using their app and walking. They’ve changed the program this year, calling it Freestyle, and I’m looking forward to learning the new program, freshening up my routine, and incorporating it into my life. Over 200 foods are now 0 points! Including salmon and shrimp! Wow! I’m not skinny by any means, and never will be, but I’m healthier and happier since losing the weight. It’s still a struggle, but WW is what consistently works for me. My before and after is below. I think I lost about 25 pounds off my face!
- Claim a Word for 2018! As a part of my “Get Fresh Quick” strategy for 2018, I’ve chosen to claim a “Word of the Year”. That word, for me, is abundance. Look at the definition of abundance below:
- an extremely plentiful or over sufficient quantity or supply: an abundance of grain.
- overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.
- affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.
Funny how we tend to think of abundance in material terms, but if you look at the second definition, it means so much more than that, and that’s the abundance I’m claiming. Abundance of the heart. Overflowing fullness. My inner pollyanna self believes that being thankful, and acknowledging the blessings that have been brought my way just makes me feel happier and content. When life hammers me, when I feel down in the dumps, when I’m worried or afraid, I will remember God’s amazing grace and how abundantly blessed I am. His grace and mercy offer me the ultimate clean slate, and I praise Him and thank Him for that every morning when I rise.
Proverbs 11:25 The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped.
John 10:10 The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance to the full, till it overflows.
What are your strategies for starting the New Year off right? Cleaning? Decluttering? Organizing? Please share! I’m always open to suggestions and new ideas for happier living!
Praying God’s richest blessings of joy and abundance for you this
New Year and always.