My place of employment has a monthly award they call the Gold Star. It’s for people who go above and beyond; the ones who really shine at their jobs. I think it’s an incredibly encouraging idea, and one of the things I love most about where I work. In a world full of negativity and angst, it’s so nice to focus on the positive. To encourage people to be the good. I thought it would be fun to think of people who have affected MY life in a positive way and who deserve to win a Gold Star. I’m calling it my SHINING STAR. Because I like shiny things. Warning. I’m crazy. This will be random.
Here’s my very random, personal list of people I consider SHINING STARS:
- Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden, Mary Kay, and the Doctors Rodan and Fields who were pioneers in modern makeup and skin care. I am especially thankful for the inventions of concealer and lipstick. Because seriously. I wake up looking like something the cat dragged in, but I can be miraculously transformed by the magic of makeup into a somewhat presentable 55 year old, ready to face the day. Plus, I’m a girly girl, and I love makeup. The Redefine regimen from Rodan and Fields has been a game changer for my skin. I highly recommend all the products from Rodan and Fields. You really need to give it a try! There’s even a 60 day money back guarantee. But once you try you’ll be hooked like me, and you’ll look better than you ever have! (And you may not have to use as much spackle!) SHINING STAR!
- Willis Carrier, the inventor of modern air conditioning. I live in the deep south y’all. How in the world did folks live without air conditioning back in the day? How did menopausal women even get through the day without climbing into that old fashioned ice box? God bless you Mr. Carrier. You definitely get a SHINING STAR!
- Sara Blakely, the inventor of SPANX. Girl, I am so glad you cut the legs off that pair of control top pantyhose! You’ve made us look lean, smoothed our cellulite, and slimmed our poochy tummies. SHINING STAR! Now if you could just figure out how to keep us from shoving everything that’s downstairs all the way up to our chins that would be awesome!
- Steve Jobs and Apple, who invented the iphone. I mean, do you even remember what cellular devices were like prior to 2005? Flip phones, Razr phones, and bag phones (which, by the way got excellent reception according to my husband). No apps! How in the world DID WE EVEN without smart phones? Riddle me that? How did we live prior to Facebook, or Instagram, or Pinterest or Twitter. Do you realize what a convenience it is to have your camera with you all the time because it’s on your phone? And how could we communicate without emojis or even bitmojis? SHINING STAR!
- Irving Naxon, the inventor of the slow cooker that would later become the Crock Pot. Can you imagine a time before we could just throw a roast in the crockpot and forget about it? I inherited my Mom’s Crock Pot. I have no idea how old it is, but it has a glass lid, which is unheard of these days. Her Crock Pot specialty was Beef Curry. It was a traditional meal for birthdays, along with her famous Chocolate Sheet Cake. I’m going to have to write a blog post on those two recipes soon! Here’s a great recipe for a Crock Pot Coffee Roast Beef. I substitute red wine for the soy sauce. It’s delicious! I start the slow cooker before I leave for work in the morning, and when I return home that evening the house smells like heaven! The Crock Pot is the working woman’s best friend! SHINING STAR!
- And while we’re on the subject of coffee, how about the barista at your local coffee shop. Don’t they deserve a SHINING STAR? I mean, how do they even learn what an Iced, Half Caff, Ristretto, Venti, 4-Pump, Sugar Free, Dolce Soy Skinny Latte is? Does anybody even know what that is? I just want a Venti non-fat white mocha, no whip. I’m not complicated at all. And I want it now. Please.
- The friendly kids at my local grocery store who gladly push out my overloaded shopping cart and load my groceries in my car. They are always so sweet and friendly and happy to do it. They chat and ask about my day, plans for the weekend and what’s for supper. It’s especially nice when the weather is cold, or stormy or blasting hot. Those kids deserve a SHINING STAR!
Don’t you wish you could just walk around handing out GOLD STARS to people who make you happy? Well you can! Just tell somebody how much you appreciate them. Tell the friendly sales clerk at the store how much you appreciate her help. Tell your co-worker how much you value them. Tell your best friend you love her. Tell your husband he’s awesome. Tell your boss thank you for the opportunity. Be encouraging. Be uplifting.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 tells us, “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.”
Be the good.
So tell me, who in your life deserves a SHINING STAR?
4 thoughts on “Shining Stars – Random People Who Make Me Happy”
I absolutely love this post today! This is exactly what the world needs! I’m thinking of those random people that make me happy and I include you in this list! 🙂 I shared your reading today with a co-worker as we were just talking this morning about how to make this workplace a better and more enthusiastic place to work. Your words were right on target. Thank you for sharing! And I love the bit of whimsy associated with your writing!
You got me with Steve Jobs! I love his last words, “oh wow! oh wow! oh wow!” xo~D
haha what a funny post! I agree on almost all points made! shoutout to all my favorite baristas out there, your coffees are greatly appreciated!! 🙂